29 Sep Looking at the Music Modernization Act From the Eyes of Business Law
The music industry was incredibly excited and enthusiastic about the changes that were being brought into place by the Music Modernization Act, or MMA. This unique bill was written into law recently, and it got unanimous support in both the House and Congress because of how lawmakers and music industry giants worked together to make things happen.
There has been a lot of positive response to the law from all over the country, and there are a lot of implications that come with it. Here are some quick summaries of many of the thoughts that people in the industry have shared since the signing.
- This indicates the first time and music creators and those who run digital services are able to work together so that everyone benefits from it.
- The law will help to make songwriters and artists get more fair pay as a result of all of the work that they are going to be doing in the industry.
- When digital and satellite music services use music, everyone involved in the music is to be paid fairly, and they worked together toward a solution to make that a reality.
- Music is an amazing unifier – that’s why the House and Senate, on both sides, were able to come together and work to find something that was for the greater good.
- Many industry giants believe that this will now help musicians (and others in the industry) to be more creative with their work. The fair pay allows for creativity to flow more freely, because musicians are not going to be forced to get other jobs in order for them to get by in today’s world.
- The copyright laws are there to help strengthen the industry and make music more accessible, not less accessible.
This is something where the music industry worked its tail off to make things happen, and now it’s the law of the land and there’s so much good that will come to the music industry from it. It’ll be good to see what happens as a result of this law and others.